Thursday, November 27, 2008

First ILE blog entry

Throughout the month of November I have gone to my internship 2 times out of a possible 4. I was sick one week and then I got off another week because my mentor was out of the country and there was nothing for me to do that day. The other two days I went I got to see a lot of patients. Most of them spoke english too, which is pretty cool because I can actually understand.
My most powerful experience throughout these last two weeks was probably getting to meet some people from Morrison. I met some sophomore girls on the basketball team and the varsity girls basketball assistant coach. It was nice getting to talk to each of them and learning more about their basketball teams. The first week in November I got to sit in on Patrick Truchons appointment. It was pretty cool watching my mentor work on his toe because I am so close with Patrick. This same day our train got delayed by an hour or so which was really boring. Every Wednesday I get to watch a physical therapy session from 1pm-2pm and I almost always fall asleep. The session itself is not boring but the music they play is so soothing ( which it is supposed to be, just not for me) and by that time I am pretty exhausted. The Physical therapist I usually work with knows that I get sleepy when I hear the music so he has started talking to me more and explains things to me as he works. I am definitely an outgoing person which is really good because I get to talk to a lot of people about their lives and how they injured themselves. On November 12th there was a really funny patient. He was explaining how he layed on his bed with his daughter but before he finished his story he had to clarify that his daughter was only 6 years old and he told me not to freak. He was a pretty cool guy! I hope to learn more about Biology and Anatomy so I am better equiped to help Dr. Hang with his research and any projects he may have for me. He would like me to work on a poster for the treatment Orthokine but he hasn't given me the specifics just yet. My internship is going pretty good so far. Sometimes I don't have anything to do but I take homework with me and I can also read more about Anatomy. I look forward to what the rest of the year has to bring.

No comments: