Monday, November 24, 2008

Enron Scandal

Where are Lay and Skilling now?
The effect of "hubris" in the Enron debacle

Last Thursday we watched the movie Enron in Global Ethics class. I thought it was a pretty remarkable video. Before watching this movie I had heard the word Enron A LOT, but I really didn't know what it meant and why it was so important. After watching this video I now realize the impact the Enron scandal had on people in the US during the 1990's. A common question regarding Enron is probably, "Who is to blame for this scandal?" If I were to answer this based on what I learned from the video, I would say Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling. Lay was the CEO of Enron from 1986 to 2002, when he resigned. He was also the chairman of the company for a few months in 2001. Ken lay died on July 5th, 2006 while vacationing with his family. The Autopsies indicate that he died of a heart attack brought on by coronary artery disease. Skilling, who was the CEO of Enron in 2001, on the other hand, is sitting in prison right now. He is currently serving a 24 year, 4 month sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution in Wasceca, Minnesota.

"Hubris" has a huge impact on the way this Enron story unfolds. "Hubris" is defined as personal pride

2 comments:

Unknown said...

haha, At least you heard the company. I did not know the company until I watched this documentary film and was SHOCKED that this is a great news and tragedy. Nice post and accurate answer to the Enron corporation blog questions.

Jack said...

I c where u r heading
Good, keep working on it
One day ur blog is going to look just like mine, perfect